I’m beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. In ways the last 10 months have flown by, and in ways it has felt like an eternity!! Watching our ceiling going up piece by piece, night after night, has been a long drawn out process. As my sister so kindly reminds me all the time though, this is the first house we’ve EVER built and for something so large to only take 6 weeks from the time we got the wood, is kind of incredible. It took us one whole week to stain and polyurethane the wood, and then 5 to get it put up in 80% of the house.
The wood not only adds a ton of character to the house, since we did model our floor plan after several log cabins and timber frame plans, but it also adds history. Before we began building, Chip along with helps, cleared the spot for the house by cutting down the trees. These trees were then transported to River Valley Pine in Middlefield where they got rough cut. Then they were sent to Trumbull County Hardwoods to be kiln dried, the wood spent 45 days in the kiln, and then it was sent to J & J Milling. J & J completed the finish cut in a whole variety of lengths and widths with tongue and groove edges. Then we brought it to the house, stained it, polyurethaned it, and then the dedicated crew (Chip & Botha our dads) began to hang the ceiling, one piece at a time. It was really neat to see every piece be carefully selected. I even helped many nights and have become quite handy with power saws!